Print this page

Harefield grab 4 points in three days as Underwood stars

Paul Underwood - Harefield's MOTM Paul Underwood - Harefield's MOTM

Reports from Harefield United chairman Gary South.

Harefield United 2 Hatfield Town 1

Harefield United were at home on Saturday 14 October to Hatfield Town, with manager Jason Shaw retaining the services of Craig Tomkin and John Roberts from the four Egham loanees and the Hares supporters pleased with the signing of former striker Perry Dicker from Southall.

With left wing back Elliot Dobbs unavailable the right footed Steven Green was switched to the left, linking up with Roberts and midfielder Paul Underwood filled in at right wing back. Hatfield attacked straight away, winning a corner in the first minute, which was cleared by Hares' keeper Jacob Ballheimer. Soon after Roberts had a shot saved from a Sam Shaw free kick and United seemed to be having the better of the play.

On twenty four minutes Tash Jordan placed a shot just over the bar and was unlucky just after when Roberts dribbled through the Hatfield defence but his effort was palmed away by the keeper only for Jordan to place the rebound just wide. United kept up the pressure in the first half and on thirty three minutes were awarded a penalty for handball. Seldyn Grant stepped up to take the spot kick only for the Town custodian to palm the shot away. The Hares' last chance of the half would again fall to the industrious Grant who put what looked like a tap-in just outside the post.

After five minutes of the restart captain Cristian Barrett got on the end of a Shaw corner from the left hand side and fired into the net at the far post from a yard out. Two minutes later Underwood crossed from deep on the right, picking out Green unmarked on the left, who headed home his third senior goal for the Hares on his one hundredth first team appearance. With the Hares two nil up it was a matter of keeping the ball and six minutes later manager Shaw replaced Grant with midfield substitute Jordon Goode-Keeley. It was all going to plan when on seventy three minutes Toby Kirkham scored a tap-in from a Hatfield free kick and it was game on. The experienced Adam Willis was immediately brought on for Roberts and the Hatfield keeper made a point blank save from Jordan, pushing the ball out for a corner.

Tomkin was unfortunate not to make it three for Harefield when his long range shot was tipped away for a corner by the Hatfield keeper's finger tips. With three minutes remaining he was replaced by the returning former fan's favourite Dicker up front who combined well with Willis in the time left, both players attacking rather than playing the ball into corners. The game ended on a sour note well into time added on with the double sending off of Shaw and Zack Marshall for Hatfield after both players were judged to have raised hands at each other. Harefield have appealed the dismissal, accompanied by video evidence.

Harefield line up: Ballheimer, Underwood (Man of the match), Green, Barrett (capt), Baldwin, Mangan, Jordan, Grant, Tomkin, S.Shaw, Roberts. Subs. Dicker, Goode-Keeley, A.Willis and Farhall, Clark (unused)


Codicote FC 3 Harefield United 3


On Tuesday evening Harefield travelled to bottom of the league Codicote, managed by former Watford striker Gifton Noel-Williams, not the easiest of journeys for a midweek fixture and their preparations were placed in turmoil by the late arrival of Sean Mangan as the teams were about to kick off. The Hares took the lead after seven minutes with a wonder strike from at least thirty five yards out, by Paul Underwood, again in the right wing back role for the second consecutive game.

After half an hour Codicote scored from a penalty and followed that with another goal within a minute of the re-start. With Harefield three one down at half time manager Jason Shaw brought on centre back Sean Mangan for Cristian Barrett at half time and then left wing back Elliot Dobbs for Seldyn Grant early into the second period. Sam Shaw claimed a goal from a shot that was helped into the net by a Codicote foot and United were being fouled all over the pitch by an aggressive home team while the referee seemed reluctant to show any cards. Eventually the Codicote number two was shown two cards within a minute, one for a late tackle and the second for time wasting. Robert Graham was brought on to replace Craig Tomkin in the closing minutes and seven minutes into time added on the magnificent Luke Baldwin struck Harefield's third goal and equaliser with the last kick of the game.


Harefield line up: Ballheimer, Underwood, Green, Barrett (capt), McCorkell, Baldwin, Goode-Keeley, Grant, Tomkin, S.Shaw, Dicker. Subs, Graham, Dobbs, Mangan and Hills (GK), Riley-Snow (unused)


On Tuesday the club is set to play Enfield Bororugh in the Middlesex Cup.

Like this story? Get free email newsletters via the form below

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Related items

This website uses 'cookies' to give you the best, most relevant experience. Using this website means you are Ok with this. Click close to accept and continue.